Qatar strongly condemns the deadly explosions in Sri Lanka

Qatar strongly condemns the deadly explosions in Sri Lanka

Qatar joins the world in condemning the horrific explosions that rocked the Sri Lankan capital, Colombo, earlier this morning

A total of eight explosions are said to have struck luxury hotels and churches in the Asian country, resulting in more than 150 casualties and over 400 injured people as the Christian community marked Easter Sunday today, according to Al Jazeera.

Qatar has reiterated its firm stance on rejecting terrorism, extremism, regardless of motives and reasons.

Three explosions happened at Catholic churches while the other three were reported in luxury hotels: the Cinnamon Grand, Kingsbury and Shangri-La, located at the heart of Colombo city.

The first explosion took place in a church in the capital, followed by other blasts within the next 30 minutes.

The targeted churches included: St Anthony’s Shrine, St Sebastian’s, 30km from the capital and another one in Batticaloa, 250km east of the capital.

Al Jazeera also reports that at least 35 foreigners are said to have lost their lives in the deadly attacks.  

The Sri Lankan government has blocked access to major social media channels and messaging services and declared a curfew with immediate effect.

Leave a reply